|Welcome to ICANNWiki||
The meeting was held virtually from June 14 to 17, 2021. Sessions during ICANN 71 were held during working hours in The Hague, Netherlands (CEST/UTC+2, Amsterdam/Paris). View archived session recordings and materials at the ICANN 71 site (login/registration required)
- The Prep Week schedule was published on 17 May 2021: ✓
- The Policy Forum schedule was published on 24 May 2021. ✓
- Prep Week is over: 1-3 June 2021, and everyone is prepared for next week.✓
- ICANN 71 concluded on Thursday, June 17. Archived sessions are available now.✓
In late spring 2021...
- The ICANN Domain Name System Symposium (IDS), ICANN and GDD's annual joint meeting on DNS security, took place from May 25 to 27. The symposium focused on risk tradeoffs, how the threat landscape has evolved, measurements, and mitigation measures.
- Darkside carried out a ransomware attack on Colonial Pipeline, prompting fears over East Coast gas shortages, which led to gas hoarding and panic buying in the South. The attack also highlighted a vulnerability in the country's cyberinfrastructure, leading President Joe Biden to issue an executive order on strengthening Cybersecurity in the US. Colonial Pipeline paid nearly $5 million to Darkside to restore its disabled computer network, of which the U.S. Department of Justice was able to trace and seize 63.7 Bitcoins (US$2.3 million as of 06/07/2021).
- The digital economy SaaS Platform NetObjex began its official collaboration with Zortag to fight NFT counterfeiting.
- The IP management technology provider Anaqua announced its acquisition of SeeUnity, which provides API-related software.
- Spy novelist and foreign affairs columnist David Ignatius worries about Russia trying to oversee Internet governance as the nation doubles down on its lobbying for candidate Rashid Ismailov to head the U.N.’s International Telecommunications Union. Meanwhile, the far-right multilanguage newspaper The Epoch Times warns that the Chinese Communist Party has developed a “plan to control the Internet.”
ICANNWiki is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to supporting the Internet community's collaborative development of wiki articles on ICANN and Internet Governance-related topics. The wiki provides neutral, third-party information for ICANN meeting attendees and Internet citizens at large. It is an open platform grounded in wiki values. Want to help? Create an account today!
ICANNWiki is not ICANN. ICANNWiki is a separate non-profit organization independent from ICANN. This website is operated by the ICANNWiki organization and any donations made to the ICANNWiki website are for the ICANNWiki organization only.
ICANNWiki is a nonprofit organisation dedicated to providing a community developed wiki on ICANN and Internet Governance. We specialize in outreach, engagement and accessibility. Our mission to "give everyone a voice in the future of the internet" by providing educational resources, workshops and building a strong sense of community. (Learn More...)