Edmon Chung is the CEO of DotAsia Organisation. Edmon and heads the secretariat for the Asia Pacific Regional Internet Governance Forum (APrIGF). Edmon serves on the Executive Committee of Internet Society Hong Kong, which serves as the secretariat for the Asia Pacific Regional At-Large Organization (APRALO) and participates extensively on Internet governance issues. Edmon also serves on the board of the Internet Governance Forum Support Association (IGFSA).
Mr. Chung led the initiative to create .asia, bringing together 29 official ccTLD managing authorities. DotAsia became a successful non-profit, known for its advocacy and regional development efforts and also its technological achievements, like its historic Pioneer Domains Program.
Edmon Chung has participated in the regional At-Large activities since their inception, assisted in APRALO, and also led the initiative that established ISOC-HK as APRALO's secretariat. He is a member of the Elections Committee of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, a councillor of the ICANN GNSO Council, and Secretariat for the ICANN APRALO. He was appointed to the GNSO Council by the Registries Stakeholder Group. Edmon is also the co-Chair of the Joint ccNSO-GNSO Working Group, and the Internationalized Registration Data Working Group. He is the IDN liaison for the ALAC.
Edmon is currently the vice-chair of the Universal Acceptance Steering Group (UASG).
Mr. Chung is a recognized expert on IDNs, and was involved in the development of the technical standards and the policy involved in implementing IDN deployment. IT is a dream of his that IDNs will become a natural part of the Internet, a move he says will mark the transition to a truly global Internet. He has served on many global IDN-related committees, and is an inventor of patents underlying technologies for internationalized domain names and email addresses on the Internet.
Awards & Achievement
- Chinese Canadian Entrepreneurship Award, 2001.
- The Globe and Mail's Young Canadian Leaders, 2000.
- In 2018, DotAsia Organisation and Edmon Chung were sued in Ontario, Canada, for $2M by Intercap Financial over the .box top-level domain.
- In 2020, DotPH sued DotAsia in the high court of Hong Kong over unissued shares of Namesphere Limited (a holding company for multiple gTLD applications, including .spa, .inc, .studio, and .now).
Edmon is a doctoral candidate at the Shanghai University of Finance and Economics; he currently holds a Bachelor's in Applied Science and a Master's in Engineering from the University of Toronto.
- Ontario Superior Court of Justice, Intercap Financial and Jason Chapnik vs Edmon Chung, Namesphere Holdings Ltd., and DotAsia Organization Ltd