Greg Shatan is a Partner in the New York office of the law firm McCarter & English LLP, which he joined in March 2016. He practices intellectual property, internet, domain name, technology and transactional law. Previously, he was a partner at Abelman Frayne & Schwab, and before that, at Reed Smith LLP, for eight years. Prior to joining Reed Smith, he was a Partner at Winston & Strawn LLP for two years and a Partner at Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP for 6 years, after joining as an associate 4 years earlier. He began his legal career at Weil, Gotshal & Manges, where he was an associate for 8 years. He is involved with INTA where he is a member of the Internet Committee and its subcommittee on the Future of IP at ICANN and on the Internet; previously he served on the Internet Committee's DNS and Registration Practice Subcommittee and New gTLD Subcommittee, started in 2004.
On February 8, 2015, Greg was elected President of the Intellectual Property Constituency, to fill the remainder of the term after the previous President resigned. He was re-elected to a full term in October 2015 He has been a member of the IPC since 2007. Greg is involved in the following ICANN Working Groups and Drafting Teams:
- Cross-Community Working Group on Internet Governance (CCWG-IG) -- IPC Representative (2013-2015), Participant (2015-current)
- Cross-Community Working Group Develop an IANA Stewardship Transition Proposal on Naming Related Functions (CWG-IANA) -- Member, representing the CSG
- Cross-Community Working Group on Enhancing ICANN's Accountability (CCWG-Accountability) -- Participant
- GNSO Working Group on Next Generation Registrant Directory Services -- Participant
- GNSO Working Group on Subsequent Rounds for New gTLDs -- Participant
- GNSO Working Group to Review All Rights Protection Mechanisms in All gTLDS -- Participant
Greg was involved in the following Working Groups and Drafting Teams, which have now concluded.
- Reserved Names WG (2007)
- Single Letter Names WG (2007) (sub-WG of Reserved Names WG) (Chair)
- Rights Protection Mechanism Ad Hoc Reference Implementation Group (2007)
- Temporary Drafting Group on New gTLD Registry Agreement Issues (TDG-Legal) (2010-2011)
- IOC/RCRC Protections DT (2011-2012)
- IGO-INGO Protections PDP WG (2012-2013)
- Policy & Implementation Charter DT (2013)
- Policy & Implementation WG (2013-2015)
- GNSO Standing Committee on Improvements -- IPC Representative (alternate) (2013-2015)
Greg has degrees from Wesleyan University (B.A. in Sociology/Psychology and Music, 1981) and Columbia University Law School (J.D., 1986). Greg also attended Cardozo Law School. At Columbia Law School, he was the Editor-in-Chief of the Columbia-VLA Journal of Law & the Arts and a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar. At Wesleyan, he was the President and Music Director of WESU-FM, the university's radio station. Greg also played on the Wesleyan University Rugby Football Club and the Columbia Business School Rugby Football Club.
- ICANNWiki Interview, July 2013.