Matthias Markus Hudobnik
|Affiliation:||ALAC, Fellowship Program, NextGen@ICANN|
Matthias Markus Hudobnik is an Austrian legal expert and engineer so-called legal engineer. In 2002, as a teenager, he registered his first domain name and started coding websites. Since then he has been passionate about the development of the Internet.
He organized and moderated the first next generation roundtable titled The Future of ICANN's Mandate and the Development of the DNS: Voices of the Next Generationǃ at an ICANN meeting. This At-Large policy session explored the future of the Internet from an ICANN policy and technical perspective. The panel comprised former NextGen@ICANN participants, ICANN Fellows, and At-Large Summit III participants who currently work with ICANN community groups. During this ICANN 70 session, the panelists discussed the following questionsː
- Should ICANN’s mandate be adapted in terms of future developments in cyberspace?
- How might the DNS be changed to tackle future cybersecurity concerns?
- How can transparency and openness of PDP’s within ICANN be ensured and all interested stakeholders be pick up inclusively?
Since November 2019, Hudobnik has served as the youngest and the first Austrian member of the At-Large Advisory Committee, representing Internet end-users from Europe. He is also a member of the EURALO Board.
Hudobnik's professional experience ranges from Kazakhstan to Poland, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, and Austria in the fields of law and technology (e.g. consultancy, international law firms, universities, judiciary, EU Agency, Cyber Security Center, Austrian Embassy - Commercial Section, automotive industry, and the Office of the Provincial Government).
ICANN and Internet Governance Participations
- Hudobnik began his journey in March 2017 as a participant in the NextGen@ICANN program at ICANN 58 in Copenhagen, where he focused on the role of an individual Internet user.
- Since March 2017, he is a member of EURALO and the Internet Society.
- In October 2017, Hudobnik was selected as an Ambassador in the NextGen@ICANN pogram at ICANN 60 in Abu Dhabi.
- In December 2017, he was nominated by the EURALO Individuals' Association for the EURALO Board.
- Between 2017/2018, Hudobnik served as a member of the NextGen@ICANN Selection Committee for ICANN 62, ICANN 63, ICANN 64. He is a strong supporter of the NextGen@ICANN program and recently presents to them during ICANN meetings in the context of engagement opportunities within ICANN.
- In October 2018, he participated as ICANN Fellow in ICANN 63 in Barcelona.
- From August 2018 until December 2019, Hudobnik was EURALO’s Co-Chair of the ALAC Sub-Committee on Outreach & Engagement.
- At ICANN 66, he guided as a coach in the At-Large Summit III and started his term to serve as a Member of the At-Large Advisory Committee of EURALO.
- At ICANN 67, Hudobnik supported as a member of the At-Large Advisory Committee of EURALO the involvement of the At-Large community at the first virtual Community Forum.
- Hudobnik attended the virtual ICANN 68 Policy Forum as part of the At-Large Advisory Committee of EURALO, focusing on domain name abuse during COVID-19.
- At ICANN 69, he presented EURALO’s resources and experience with educational outreach in the At-Large Community and DNS Abuse: An Individual User Education Campaign session as well as spoke on current legislative processes and their impact onto ICANN's DNS Abuse policies - what to expect in the Beyond Budapest: The UN Cybercrime Treaty and DNS Abuse session.
- At ICANN 70, Hudobnik organized and moderated the first next generation roundtable at an ICANN meeting titled The Future of ICANN's Mandate and the Development of the DNS: Voices of the Next Generationǃ to discuss the future of the Internet from an ICANN policy and technical perspective.
Dialogue on Internet Governance
- In June 2017, Hudobnik was selected as CROPP to attend the EuroDIG 2017 in Tallinn.
- In December 2017, he got the opportunity as part of EURALO to attend the IGF 2017 in Geneva.
- In June 2018, Hudobnik was selected as a Fellow to participate in the EuroDIG 2018 in Tbilisi.
- In May 2019, he was selected to represent EURALO as ICANN funded candidate to attend SeeDIG in Bucharest.
- In June 2019, Hudobnik was selected as a Fellow to participate in the EuroDIG 2019 in The Hague and helped to organize a session about the GDPR Implementation.
- In November 2019, he was selected to represent the At-Large community (e.g. EURALO) as CROPP funded candidate to attend the IGF in Berlin. He was booth-leader and in charge of the whole organization of the respective outreach and engagement activities.
- In June 2020, Hudobnik participated in the first virtual EuroDIG 2020 to represent EURALO.
- In October 2018, Hudobnik participated as RIPE NCC Fellow in RIPE 77 as well as in RIPE NCC's Quantum Internet Hackathon in Amsterdam.
- In May 2020, he attended the first virtual RIPE 80 meeting as a member of the At-Large Advisory Committee and RIPE NCC Fellow Alumni.
- In October 2020, Hudobnik attended the virtual RIPE 81 meeting as a member of the At-Large Advisory Committee and RIPE NCC Fellow Alumni.
- In July 2020, Hudobnik attended the virtual IETF 108 meeting to strengthen the connection between the IETF and Internet Governance community. He engrossed his attendance in the Domain Name System and privacy sessions (e.g. Domain Name System Operations and Privacy Enhancements and Assessments Research Group) representing the At-Large Advisory Committee.
- In November 2020, he attended the virtual IETF 109 meeting as a member of the At-Large Advisory Committee to strengthen the connection between the IETF and Internet Governance community.
- In March 2021, Hudobnik attended the virtual IETF 110 meeting and engrossed his attendance in the privacy sessions (e.g. Privacy Enhancements and Assessments Research Group and Privacy Pass) representing the At-Large Advisory Committee.
- In February 2020, Hudobnik participated in the Internet Governance Next Generation panel at the Domain pulse 2020 organized by nic.at in Innsbruck. He talked about diversity in the area of Internet Governance, the importance of new young leaders, and their voices.
- In May 2018, Hudobnik was selected to represent EURALO as CROPP funded candidate to attend re:publica in Berlin focusing on outreach and engagement of individual Internet users, who are interested in shaping the future of the Internet.
Summer School on Internet Governance
Hudobnik has completed the College of Electronics Specializing in Technical Computer Science - Informatics and Internet Engineering. His project team developed a mobile fitness and body monitoring device named Ironm@Z funded by the provincial government.
Since the beginning of his law studies, Hudobnik has focused on the areas of Cyber Law, Cyber Security, Internet Governance, Privacy, Legal Tech, and Intellectual Property. He participated in an Erasmus exchange at the Tilburg Law School, specializing in International Law and taking part in the Tilburg Model United Nations.
The title of the diploma thesis is The Future of WHOIS - An analysis of the Policy Development Process under the GDPR with a focus on the litigation ICANN v. EPAG. Hudobnik analyzes, how access to crucial information and protected data in the WHOIS-system can be ensured. Specifically, whether the collection and storage of personal data of the Admin-C and Tech-C are lawful, as well as whether the processing purposes are sufficiently specified under the GDPR. The modification of the WHOIS databases has significant practical implications since the GDPR came into force, as well as the Expedited Policy Development Process on the Temporary Specification for gTLD Registration Data (EPDP), which has potentially been influenced by the litigation ICANN v. EPAG. The diploma thesis concludes that there is a definite need for further modifications of other relevant policy agreements within the domain name registration process. The year 2019 will show whether Phase 2 of the EPDP on the Temp Spec finalizes in time, and delivers a holistic solution for compliance with the GDPR that is respected by the wide range of stakeholder groups involved.
In June 2019, Hudobnik presented the paper WHOIS and the GDPR - A (never) ending story in cyberspace?, at the 34th International Conference on ICT Systems Security and Privacy Protection (IFIP SEC 2019) at the Lisbon School of Economics & Management.
Interdisciplinary Programs and Training
Hudobnik completed several training courses and summer schools in the fields of Cyber Law, Intellectual Property, Cyber Security, Internet Governance, Privacy and Legal Tech all over the globe (e.g. LSE, HSE, IPR Center University Helsinki, HSD, NCIA, NATO, Europol, Tallinn University of Technology, University of Adelaide, University of Aarhus, Karlstad University, European University Viadrina, Legal Tech Center, ISEG, ERA - Academy of European Law).
Moreover, he was part of the UN-Shadowing Program at the IAEA, the 23rd Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot Court, and accomplished the Diploma course of the Global Advancement Programme organized by the United Nations Youth and Student Association of Austria - Academic Forum for Foreign Affairs.
Hudobnik is a Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E) and completed several Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) courses (e.g. networking basics, router and routing, switching basics and intermediate routing, WAN technologies).
Hudobnik regularly speaks at ICANN meetings and has published articles related to Cyberlaw, Cyber Security, Privacy, and Legaltech.
Writings and Presentations
- Article, Is network communitarianism a better regulatory model than cyberpaternalism? GAP-Journal 2015/16
- Presentation, Regulation of the Digital Environment, University of Graz, NextGen@ICANN58 program
- Poster Presentation, Space Law: Austrian Pioneers in Space - Österreich und seine Bedeutung für die Raumfahrt, Symposium: Trends and Challenges of Satellite-Based Earth Observation for Economics and Society, University of Graz
- Paper Presentation, Regulation in cyberspace? VI International Summer School on Cyber Law, National Research University Higher School of Economics
- Paper Presentation, Is network communitarianism a better regulatory model than cyberpaternalism? 12th International IFIP Summer School on Privacy and Identity Management, Karlstad University, Joint Research Centre of the European Commission
- Diploma Thesis, The Future of WHOIS - An analysis of the Policy Development Process under the GDPR with a focus on the litigation ICANN v. EPAG, University of Graz
- Paper Presentation, WHOIS and the GDPR - A (never) ending story in cyberspace? 34th IFIP SEC 2019, Lisbon School of Economics & Management
- Presentation, Internet Governance Next Generation, ALAC EURALO, Domain pulse 2020
- Article, The Stopp Corona app - Austria as a forerunner in the development of contact-tracing-apps, COVID-19 Global Insights Ebook
- Presentation, The At-Large Community and DNS Abuse: An Individual User Education Campaign, ALAC EURALO, ICANN69 meeting
- Presentation, Current legislative processes and their impact onto ICANN's DNS Abuse policies - what to expect, ALAC EURALO, ICANN69 meeting
- Article, Data protection and the law enforcement directive: a procrustean bed across Europe? ERA Forum 21
- Presentation, Super-democratic or a hidden autocracy: ICANN’s role in the multi-stakeholder system between power and myth, Lectureː Conflicts in Cyberspace - Law, Politics, Technology, University of Jena
- Presentation, Actors and Layers of the Internet: ICANN‘s crucial role in the Internet governance ecosystem, Courseː International Law and the Internet, University of Graz
- Presentation, The future of ICANN‘s mandate and the development of the DNS: Voices of the Next Generation!, ALAC EURALO, ICANN70 meeting
- Presentation, ICANN 70 Readout – Highlights & Take-Aways from the Virtual Community Forum, ALAC EURALO, eco – Association of the Internet Industry & ICANN
- Presenation, Behind the name - ICANN & Internet governance, CiTiP KU Leuven
- Newspaper Article, Kuehnsdorfer schnuppert in fremder Wirtschaft - Matthias Hudobnik macht ein Volontariat in der Außenwirtschaft in Kasachstan, meinbezirk.at
- Interview, Matthias M. Hudobnik über die ungewöhnliche Teilnahme eines Juristen - Hackathons für Juristen…im Ernst?, TalentRocket
- Interview, Bettina Gegenbauer und Matthias M. Hudobnik - It’s #NextGeneration, Future-Law
- Interview, Matthias M. Hudobnik - Eine Brücke zwischen Technik und Recht, nic.at
- Article, Internet Governance - Vom NextGen@ICANN Programm zu ICANN’s At-Large Advisory Committee!, TalentRocket
- Talk, Stopp Corona App: An Open Door For Surveillance Of My Personal Data? #EDENStaysAtHomeTalks
- Erasmus Scholarship, 2014
- NextGen@ICANN program, ICANN 58, 2017
- CROPP, EuroDIG 2017
- NextGen@ICANN Ambassador, ICANN 60, 2017
- CROPP, re:publica 2018
- Fellow, EuroDIG 2018
- ICANN Fellow, ICANN 63, 2018
- RIPE NCC Fellow, RIPE 77, 2018
- Fellow, EuroDIG 2019
- At-Large Summit III Coach, ICANN 66, 2019
- CROPP, IGF 2019
Hudobnik is a sports enthusiast, finisher of several marathons, triathlon, and (Half)Ironman races as well as loves to participate in hackathons.
He is interested in emojis and was the first Austrian student member of the Unicode Consortium.